Thursday, January 26, 2017

Parts of town : He weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces and next to my 8# 11oz kid he looked like a doll

Well, we got here safe and sound on Tuesday afternoon.  My son did GREAT on the plane until the final 15 minutes when the pilot had the audacity to request electronic devices to be turned off while Patrick was in the middle of Maisy.  Now, I'm sure the pilot didn't have time to properly weigh the pros and cons of telling a 2 year old who woke at 4am, had no nap and was strapped to a seat for 4 hours, to turn off his favorite mouse.  I suspect he would have chosen possible death by crash landing.  The exact moment Brad turned off the computer my son threw himself into a screaming fit that would have made any mother proud.  It was quite the site.  Otherwise he was an angel.  The little stinker did seem to think for awhile that since his 'time out' seat isn't here he can go around acting like a poster-child for birth control but once he realized there is ALWAYS a place for a time-out he got his collective crap together.  :)

He weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces and next to my 8# 11oz kid he looked like a doll

Currently I'm sitting in the lobby of our hotel near McCormick place in Chicago and watching the cars and the buildings and realizing that I've really missed it here.  I dare say that I actually uttered the words "I could live here again" to Brad today.  I'm not sure if it's the fact that most of the people I know are here or what but I'm seriously considering it.

See, here's the thing.  I was born and raised here.  South Siiiiidddee!  I freaking worked at Comiskey Park for heaven's sake.  I'm a Chicago girl through and through.  But the last couple of times I had visited it seemed like the city was taking a nosedive.  The romanticized version of the city that I had in my mind was taken over by run-down, dirty streets and cranky people.  Now, as I drive around town it's really cleaned up. Sure there are parts of town that are still sketchy but the places that I would never have walked through the streets are now cool artsy parts of town that I would kill to live in.  Cute little restaurants and all the meterosexuals with their messenger bags walking down the street with their coffee.  It's cute.  It's the Chicago I had loved and wanted to come back.  So, I uttered the words but we'll see if anything comes of it....

Patrick loves it here.  It's a little boy's paradise.  Big buildings, trains at every corner, buses and cars forever and ever.  He calls is Shih-caw-caw.  He begs me about every 10 minutes to take him on the train... and the bus.... and in the buildings.  I'm hoping we can do some of it in the next week or so.  He would LOVE to go up to the top of Sears' Tower.  Sadly, even though I grew up here I have never been so much as inside the building.  Maybe I will do that.

As far as knitting goes... well, I haven't done any since I was on the plane.  That scarf just isn't working for me.  I think I have the pattern wrong.  It just doesn't look right to me.  I might scrap it and make another scarf.  Anyone have ideas for a long, skinny scarf using some worsted weight handpainted yarn?

OH MY GOD!  I almost forgot the most important part of everything.  Joseph is here!!!!  He was born as I was traveling across the country in the air.  When I landed I had 3 messages telling me he was here.  Next to my son, he is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  He's also the tiniest.  He weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces and next to my 8# 11oz kid he looked like a doll.  I was almost afraid to hold him he was so tiny.  But he is perfect in every way and smells like only a newborn baby can smell.  It's like love, peace and happiness captured in a scent.  I just love him to pieces and wish for every health and happiness this world has to offer him.  Welcome to the world little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment