Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Christmas Trees & knitting

I knit these mittens and stocking ornaments for a co-worker. I also made her a set of little trees. Pattern at Little Birds. They were a royal PITA to put together and I'm not 100% happy with them. But I think my co-worker will like them. The mittens were so fast to knit and I think they came out cute. =)

  1. This pattern is for a tree that is about 4.5 inches tall. To produce bigger or smaller trees, enlarge or reduce the pattern on a copier. You also might want to play around with the proportions of the tree. For a taller, slimmer, more mod tree, you’d need a slimmer piece of pie and a correspondingly smaller circle base.
  2. Cut one cone and one circle base for your tree. If you are planning to adorn your tree with trim or embroidery, you might want to add embellishments before sewing
  3. Machine stitch straight sides of the cone shape with a 3/8” seam allowance.
  4. Pin circle to base of the tree shape. It should match up well, but depending on your seam allowance and the fabrics that you use, you may have to fudge it a bit. 
  5. Stitch the base to the tree leaving a 1.5 -3 inch gap for turning right-side out (use your judgment here - it really depends on the size of the tree and the type of fabric). 
  6. Turn right-side out. Stuff the tree (I use wool stuffing, poly-fil would work just fine). I like to add little bits of stuffing at a time with a chopstick or the pointy-end of a knitting needle to make sure the tree’s point is fully stuffed. Tree should be neither too firmly nor too loosely stuffed (could I be more vague?). Leave a little room to add some weight to the bottom of the tree. I use rice - lentils, beans, or those little plastic pellets from the craft store would work too. The weight helps the tree from being too tipsy when on display. 
  7. Blind stitch the opening closed. Ta-da!
And finally, the kids got back last night from a week away with both sets of grandparents. They had a great time, but I sure missed them. They are bouncing off the walls in anticipation of Christmas! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment